Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Patchwork of Thoughts

As I make my way back home from Miami, I realize a few things:
  • Despite having been home for so many years – Miami isn’t home anymore.
  • Yes I do speak my own language… well more like I constantly make up words that I think should exist…. So sue me…..
  • Miami has changed so much – it feels crowded. It feels run down. Maybe its just the places I saw that were from my growing up, but much of the old Miami is gone – either overrun, replaced with something else, or dilapidating. I leave a bit saddened.
  • I like Lighthouses...... (that's Bill Bags State Park & the Cape Florida Lighthouse, Miami's oldest structure in existence)
  • I have never thought that much of South Florida has much character aside from certain areas (Coral Gables, my favorite; Coconut Grove, Miami Beach, Brickell, Little Havana, The Roads area, - snug in between the Grove /Brickell & Coral Gables).Its no different in Ft. Lauderdale or Boca Raton, but I will say that the resorts in Boca can be kick ass and yep- pretty romantic – even when you have some surly grackle (its like a lesser crow) interrupting you.
  • Why haven’t I visited the Bahamas yet? They look soooo amazing from the sky. When you can see the underwater sand dunes from 25,000 feet up you know it has to be beautiful. Put that as an easy “must do” trip. I think I still have sailing the windward/leeward islands as a to do – but first I need to learn how to sail the big boats… putzing around in my old 14’ Laser sailboat isn’t the same thing.
  • Left side of the plane – window seat… best seat in the house.
  • Despite the above statement, Miami still looks gorgeous looking south as you take off. I remember the view from the Biltmore Hotel's 14th floor many years ago when I was in the cigar lounge with my cousin. Yep the Best view.
  • Clouds from above are cool, makes me think that it would be really cool to ride in a hurricane hunter airplane sometime…. Oh what a sight to see it in person from above – stick that on a to do list (now to figure out how to get on one!)

  • Flying over the ocean…..I look down and see the light winds caress the surface, it looks like a patchwork, closely knit, thick yet delicately spaced… yet another of mother natures simple beauties….

I think that does it for now…..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can understand a place not seeming nearly as great as we last remember it. That's why I'm one for constantly moving around and finding new places.
The Bahamas trip sounds like a very good idea. I'd love to get to the peaceful Caribbean again.