Tuesday, June 5, 2007

My Own Personal Google Map

So off I go to my trip to Miami, and actually am writing (though posting it later) this as I fly at 40K feet over what I assume is Virginia (it could be the northern end of North Carolina) crossing into the Atlantic Ocean. But what really struck me was getting this perfect window seat for take off.

Now having flown so much in my life I love the feel of take off & landing. To top this off I realize I have the perfect take off view of D.C. as we head west. It ended up being this very cool overview of the city like scrolling along on Google maps or Google Earth. Oh! There’s the Capital & the Mall! Oh wait a great shot lining up with the Washington Memorial! Hey! It’s the Potomac River and look at the Woodley Park area there! Oh it’s the Beltway – Traffic seems light this afternoon. It’s the Mormon Temple and Silver Spring!! Yeah so that was cool!

Maybe I have always enjoyed flying because it’s the closest I figure I will ever get to being in outer space. It also ties in perfectly with my love of maps. Well it was just a thought… here are some pics I took.



L-R: Somewhere over NC ??
(update: after consulting Google Earth - that first is a view of
Cape Lookout, N.C. - see if you can spot the lighthouse)
- View of Miami Beach
- I-95 /SR 826 interchange in Miami



L-R: Miami isn't as green as many people might think
-The Miami River
-The Most insane Airport in the States
Below: The ORIGINAL One and Only Orange Bowl







1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't know you were heading down to Miami! I hope you're having fun right now. I'm guessing you're cruising the city, feeling the warm tropical breezes on your face. :)