Friday, October 19, 2007

Responses to Notes....

So Jon asked the question: “what songs would be good to listen to when getting over someone” SO I came up with my CD’s worth of songs.

Some of the songs don’t always truly apply to all situations/girls, but what the hey. Here's a list in no particular order:

Corazon Espinado Santana with Mana
Oh, broken/pierced heart – whatever you want to call it….

Esa mujer me esta matando
Por mas que trato de olvidarla
Me a espinado el Corazon



Translated (loosely):
That woman is killing me
But no matter how hard (she) treats (me) I cant forget her
She has pierced my heart


Let Your Troubles Roll By Carbon Leaf
Also on Jon’s list but mine for the first stanza – describes a forlorn heart readily.

Love endures, it clings away
When asked to leave, it begs to stay
Like the perfect song, at imperfect times
It's the way the chords struck with the rhymes
So let your troubles roll by...

Goin Nowhere Chris Isaak
Truly a “Getting over her” song!

Like the stance, like the sky, likes the way you shake it.
You’re the kind of a girl that looks better naked.
You’re the kind of a girl I would say is goin' nowhere.
You’re goin' nowhere.

Precious pain Melissa Etheridge
A way of taking that hurt, how do we deal with it.

Empty and cold but it keeps me alive
I gave it my soul so that I could survive
Keeping me safe in these chains
Precious pain

Royal Station 4/16 Melissa Etheridge
Melissa does it consistently in her early career songs –
This one makes one think of how we must forge ahead .

I ain't got nothing to soothe my aching soul
Except this screeching and screaming iron
To tell me where I ought to go

Breakdown Jack Johnson
A simple song – when you just need to let go.

I need this here
old train to breakdown
oh please just
let me please breakdown




Breaking up Rilo Kiley
Ohhh it feels good to be free – well until we need that urge otherwise
Very – almost disco-ey?? Not quite but very upbeat

am i breaking up?
is there trouble on the line?
did your heart break enough?
did it break enough this time?

ooh it feels good to be free..........

– not Breakin up – but still good! - Paints Peeling



Start a New Life Let’s French
Title says it all

1234 Feist (no thanks to that new Ipod commercial)
How dare does one reverse their feelings? Surprising lyrics found in another very upbeat song

you're changing your heart.
oh, oh, oh, you know who you are.
sweetheart, bitter heart,
now i can't tell you apart.



Anemone Brian Jonestown Massacre (BJM)
BJM a psychedelic 60’s retro – Stones/Byrds/Dylan inspired west coast band puts out some amazing songs many based on rejection, love, (including unrequited) - my choices were hard to peg, so I narrowed it down to two: this one because by the end of a relationship “dragging me down” is usually the feeling - remind yourself youre better of “up”, not down

i only play it for-real
you should be picking me up
instead you're dragging me down
flying over my head
you're landing all over town

F*cker Brian Jonestown Massacre
My heart is mine – you have no reason to mess with it!

i've been sitting in my room so long
i think about the ways you've done me wrong again
f*cking b*tch she tried to break my heart
the way she loves me i just fall apart


Stupid Girl Garbage
Yep the girl is dumb if she don’t like/want me ! LOL!

You stupid girl
All you had you wasted



Float On Modest Mouse
Jon is right on this I just didn’t realize why…




Artists of Honorable Mention

More songs by Melissa Etheridge, BJM, Carbon Leaf, Rilo Kiley, & Chris Isaak’s Blue album and missing the cut were songs by Dido, U2, Sublime, & The Cars.
I wanted to add something from the Decemberists (My current fave band) but it doesn’t quite fit this category.


Continue the thoughts – and responses ( Don’t forget to put it on Jon’s comments – he is the master of this after all.)

Since there are none of the standard pics here, I leave you with my rejected entry (due to length) in last years Screen on J&D G You tube video festival – warning – NSFW but only due to a few cuss words…… How To Take Revenge on Your Cheating Girlfriend :



Note to Jon:
"But actually it makes things clear, you see, 'cause now I know exactly what I have to do"

3 comments:

Telecomedian said...

This is a good post, Jan. I'll go through my music collection tonight to find some more good dumping songs.

Telecomedian said...

A few I came up with:

Steve Kilbey, the lead singer of the Church, had a solo song out years ago "Wish That I Was Over You." Nice tune, perfect pop.

The Clarks, a Replacements-styled band from Pittsburgh, has "Better Off Without You" which is great for bitter days.

Power of Dreams, a fantastic early `90s British band, had a minor hit album called "Immigrants, Emigrants and Me" and the whole album is essentially a love song about loves lost. Rather remarkable heartache in a tasty pop/rock shell.

And, of course, no list would be complete without The Butt Trumpet's "You're Ugly" which will really make you feel better about your life and the world in general.

Jan Louis said...

Very cool ! I leave it to you to come up with some eclectic stuff!

I should listen to these songs for sure!