Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Do YOUR Thing!

That is a loaded statement or proclamation, or however you take it. It can get lost in the median of a very interesting documentary, despite it being part of its central focus. In 10MPH; Seattle to Boston in 100 Days you dont expect it as a theme, yet it subtly throws it in your face. Overtly the film is simple Segway cross country trip... but in thier conception of what to do other than just show the segway - they stop to get a nice slice of Americana that hasnt been seen since Charles Kuralt. Ok not as well done as Charley, well okay - but still, much better than what most have done for a while in documenting this stuff.

So out go the filmmakers Hunter Weeks and Josh Caldwell (both great guys who I got to meet and coincidentally friends of Jon's from College), on an uncertain journey and without bieng fully funded. They went out and did what they wanted to do (even if it was hair brained to us "normal" folk). But as they meet people throughout the country - thier take on it is: why are you doing what you are doing? They get a bunch of catch phrases from each person as "x''s thing, etc.

But what the film really gets in motion (in my mind) is are; you, me, anyone one of us doing our thing anymore? do we really have the realistic capacity to do that in todays modern world? And if we all did, who would do all the other things that the rest of everyone needs?

Of course it ultimately makes one question - are we happy doing what we are doing? How empowered are we to change that? Well give me a few months - my friend Dave just gave me a book called the Pathfinder... lets see where that path goes....

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm glad you enjoyed checking out the movie (I can't believe our friends filled an entire row!). I also love it that when I don't get a chance to blog about something there is a good chance that you've done it for me, like 10MPH and the Pink Martini show. Good Times :-)