Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Great American Pastime














Its Baseball Season again. So although I missed the Fenway South Season opener (Red Sox vs Orioles @ Camden Yards) I did manage to see the ol Florida Marlins (eventually to become the Miami Marlins as everyone basically knows it should be) play at the new Washington Nationals Stadium for the first time.

Happily my old team won - that they are doing good is a miracle - maybe the sell off of players is finally to an end with the new manager and owners (Even I lost track of that).

But Its interesting in what they consider for new stadiums. The architecture is seriously uninspiring - supposedly taking the concrete and steel look of DC vs. the Neoclassical look they could have incorporated from the city's government buildings and made it different from all other stadiums. So it looks boring, the view is relatively blocked so you really cant see much beyond the Washington Monument or the far off National Cathedral. But at least it took one inspiring step and built it part way into the ground like Camden Yards was done. At least it doesn't stick out like a major sore thumb.

Eventually I will see its predecessor (RFK Stadium) go much like the good ol venerable Orange Bowl did a short time back (looking at the pictures of the demolition tears my heart out as I once lived within 5 blocks - saw many Dolphins games there and even The Boss, Journey, and the Police in concert there). I sure do hope they do something decent with the area of the new Nationals Stadium- and not just a bunch of chain stores. Otherwise it was good to see the Marlins winning again- a good 7-3 score, and some cool fireworks to country music? In D.C. ?


(My last view of the Orange Bowl, summer '07)

No comments: