Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thankfully it's.............

Why do we need a holiday to be thankful for things? Why not do it all the time. Well I guess we forget to appreciate so we seperate this day aside. Thanksgiving is becoming one of my favorite holidays because it is the last sanctitude away from commercialization. Sure it started off rather differently, but over the decades, it has become something better.

Examples of victims are: Halloween, Easter, Mothers Day, July 4th, Presidents Day, and the ever infamous Christmas. Thanksgiving is one of the **BIG** truly American Holiday. By "American" I don’t mean citizens versus non-citizens, immigrants versus non-immigrants, blacks vs. whites, vegetarians versus meat-eaters, doves versus hawks, Republicans versus Democrats, Native-Americans versus Non-Native Americans, or rich versus poor. I’m not talking about any of the myriad things that divide us as a nation. I’m talking about all of us – the 300 odd million of us that make up America.

Admittedly there are a few holidays that are not fully invaded, like Veterans Day (unlike its cousin Memorial Day), yet it is the harbinger of that aformentioned Christmas shopping frenzy of black friday and the chaos that ensues. We are also often forced to the altar of the food gods for this holiday, but it isnt that bad giving our money for a Traditional Harvest feast to the farmers of america, if it wasnt for those twin evils of High fructose corn syrup and Hydrogenated vegetable oils. But yet I digress.......

For 364 days each year we may focus on other priorities in our lives. We are simply asked to reflect on the things that we’re grateful for. We don’t have to drink green beer, send gifts, carve pumpkins, buy cars, or shoot off fireworks.

We are asked, simply, to be thankful. And to this I wish to just say to all my friends, family, loved ones for bieng you - through arguements and disagreements, Good Times and rough, sour patches or overenthusiam, complaints and compliments; I am glad for those in my life. And if I don't say it enough, or sometimes forget to stay in touch - then know it is in my heart; Thank You ... all of you, for everything.

I hope your Thanksgiving is one of just that.

No comments: